Understanding the constraints of universal service
Market liberalisation and the decline in letter volumes place great strain on how the universal postal service obligations can be paid for. The financial sustainability of universal service providers is an increasing concern.
We assist operators and regulators on all aspects of providing a universal service.
Our services include:
- calculating the cost of the universal service obligation and changes to it;
- evaluating the intangible benefits of universal service;
- defining approaches to make an unfair financial burden determination;
- evaluating the impact of the universal service obligation on competition and the implications for market entry policy;
- quantifying the distributional impact of universal service policy changes on customers;
- defining features of universal compensation funds; and
- determining state aid.